Wednesday, April 12, 2006


I WON!

Mary at Owlhaven, a homeschooling mom of 8 (including 4 adopted from Korea and Ethiopia), was gone for the weekend and received a record number of comments when she asked for recommendations for songs to sing with kids--her criteria and point-reward system are here.

It was a lazy Sunday afternoon and I got carried away recalling a few songs I'd learned in my childhood. There were extra points if Mary had never heard of your song, so I bet I won it with this entry:

A Christian Cowboy

I'm just a little feller
But I always hope to be
A cowboy sticking close to
The man from Galilee.
And pardner all I want to do
Is satisfy my Boss
And be the bestest Christian boy
Who ever rode a hoss.

I'll be a cowboy
A Christian cowboy,
I'll rope for Jesus all my days.
And in the country
Or in the city
I'll help him round up all the strays.

I couldn't find lyrics for it anywhere on the internet, but I've known it since my now-a-pilot brother sang this as a solo in church when he was about 7! And yes, I have sung this, in my best nasal twang, for my boys on a "cowboy day," when they were...er...much younger.

And my kids love/hate it when I sing:

I love you,
A bushel and a peck,
A bushel and a peck and a hug around the neck,
A hug around the neck and a barrel and a heap,
Barrel and a heap and I'm talkin' in my sleep
About you...about you.

(Extra high voice)
The cows and the chickens
Are goin' to the dickens, 'cause

I love you,
A bushel and a peck,
You bet your pretty neck I do,
Doodle oodle oodle...3X

Mom used to sing it to me! It's from the musical Guys & Dolls.

Finally, I suggested this one, which I learned at 4-H camp:

I'm a little coconut,
I live in a coconut grove.
Everybody steps on me,
That is why I'm cracked, you see.

Honk, honk, rattle rattle rattle crash beep beep...4X

Called myself up on the phone,
Just to see if I was home.
Asked myself out on a date--
Gotta be ready by half past eight.

Honk, honk...etc.

Took myself to a picture show,
Sat myself on the very first row.
Wrapped my arms around my waist,
Got so fresh I slapped my face.

Honk, honk...etc.

If you want to see a great list of other song and CD recommendations for kids--go visit here! And if you have a favorite, I'd love to hear it!

3 comments:

Lei said...

Cool! Thanks for sharing!!!

Anonymous said...

Get our friend T. to sing "I'm gonna Mail myself to you." I think they recorded it. :)

Michelle

At A Hen's Pace said...

Yes--we have his CD--many CUTE songs on it!