Sunday, March 18, 2007

Seussical the Musical

Well, the cast list was posted early...and our kids didn't get the lead roles they were hoping for. (Sigh.) As they say: That's theater!

Even though we worked hard at not getting our hopes up, it is disappointing for all of us, since this is probably their last show with this chapter of our children's theater group. Maybe they'll get lead roles eventually, up in Lake County, or if we start a new chapter in Kenosha County, but will friends drive over an hour to come see them? It sure would have been nice to have "gone out with a bang" here, where all our friends live.

However, they're not complaining about the roles they got! Blondechick14 will be one of six Bird Girls, quite a showy group who narrate the action and sing backup vocals in a number of songs. She'll be on stage a lot. Bantam11 was the youngest boy to get the part of a Wickersham Brother, one of the six menacing monkeys who threaten Horton the Elephant--quite a "cool" part for him, and he'll be in several songs. Bantam8 will debut as a Who in Whoville; he's also a Who Cadet in a cute scene with General Ghengis Khan Schmitz (from this book). The Cadets "sound off" by singing, "I do not like green eggs and ham. (I do not like green eggs and ham.) I do not like them, Sam I am. (I do not like them, Sam I am). Sound off... Eggs and ham! Sound off... Sam I am!"

And that's an example of how Seussical weaves in different characters from many of Dr. Seuss's writings, with Horton Hears a Who providing the overall plot structure. Here is a plot synopsis, as well as a list of all the books that are touched upon in some way. (Friends with small children, note that we're doing the shortened Young Audience version, and if you want front-row seats, call or email us right away!! It's May 11, 12, 18, & 19.) The music is high energy and in a variety of styles; this website calls it "a Seussian gumbo of musical styles, ranging from Latin to pop, swing to gospel, and R&B to funk!" (Hmmm, that quote leaves out the Beach Boys!) So it's going to be fun to watch and a blast for our kids.

Oh, and me? I'll be chairing the makeup committee again this time, with a co-chair, I think. I'll be eager to talk to the directors and see what they envision for this show. I've heard that sometimes it's done with minimal makeup; other productions go all-out.

Either way, we're all looking forward to a wild ride!

3 comments:

Erin said...

I'm sorry they didn't get the leads, but I'm glad they got parts!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations you guys! I know you will be great in the show! Love you all!

Islandsparrow said...

Sounds like a lot of fun - I'm looking forward to the pictures again!