Saturday, September 29, 2007

September Color

I just realized I better get this post published before September is over!!

Since I started blogging, I've learned so much more about using my camera, but I still haven't quite figured out the close-up setting. Last week I was experimenting and learning a bit more, when I noticed how many flowers were blooming even in September--and I don't even have a 'mum!


Here's the showiest thing we've got going on. This trumpet vine blooms from June on, right outside my kitchen window. When we moved in 11.5 years ago, there was no view there but the the side of my neighbor's garage; now I have beautiful flowers and foliage and hummingbirds to boot! I've read that these can be very invasive, but this one hasn't spread at all.



Next is an Autumn Joy clematis. Its blooms are smaller and less showy than our June-blooming clematis, but aren't they delicate and pretty close-up?



















This is a close-up of the tiny but numerous purple flowers on our nepeta, or catmint, plant. Again, I have heard this one can be really invasive, but mine has stayed nicely contained in one corner of a raised bed right by my driveway. I don't let it sprawl all over the bed but only out on the driveway, where my van runs over it regularly and releases its marvelous scent. What a nice smell to come home to!


This is the flower bed in the front of our house. There's always something going on in it, but fall is one of its best times. The big grass plant in the middle doesn't really feather out till late August, which is also when the false dragonhead behind it blooms too.

The Dusty Miller right in front came up volunteer this year. Don't its white leaves add pretty color? Right behind it is one of my favorite groundcovers. I've been told it's called artemesia, but I just googled and it looks like there are dozens of varieties, and this one doesn't seem to be a common one. Most artemesias apparently aren't groudcovers at all; they grow up tall and are part of the sage family. This one grows long trailing tendrils and has beautiful feathery leaves.


Here's a close-up. Anybody know which variety it is?

Maybe it's not an artemesia at all. That would be too bad--I love the name!




And here's a close-up of the false dragonhead. See its teeth?







Leisure
William H. Davies

What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.

No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.

No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.

No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.

No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.

A poor life this is if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.

3 comments:

Deb said...

Nice macros Jeanne. I think everybody's flowers are late this year. Most on my street have bought potted mums this year as who knows when the bedded ones will decide to bloom.

Anonymous said...

Very nice plants! And the cooler weather of autumn is kind to them...That trumpet vine is impressive! Pianomum

Anonymous said...

Jeanne,
Now I want people to come look at your house just so the beauty of your fall garden can make them happy. (And so they'll buy.)
Blessings,
Annie