Monday, January 14, 2008

Behind the Scenes of Godspell--or--What Directors Do

In the scene where Jesus asks the schoolchildren to help him tell the parable of the good Samaritan, Bantam8 and his buddy are the "rocky soil." They elbow their way to the front of the stage, holding their arms out like weight lifters and kissing their biceps, before delivering their line--"Rock solid, baby!"--and executing a chest slam.

They were practicing this scene when I happened to look in, and I noticed they weren't kissing their biceps. When I asked Bantam8 about it later, he said, "Oh, she changed it."

"Why?" I asked. "I thought kissing your muscles was a cute idea."

"Well, she said it looked like we were smelling our armpits."

1 comment:

Megan Cobb said...

Which clearly wouldn't deliver quite the same message.

Too funny!