Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Indoor Progress

As promised...pictures!

Here's the way the schoolroom/office looked for many weeks:


(Too many boxes there containing "J's Office Misc"!)

And now...



Ahh, much better--though still much to be done.

See the little table by the window? I found it at a charity resale shop for a great price. It was exactly what I wanted--not too big, but big enough to seat six if needed. Ideally, I didn't want all 4 chairs, since I planned to use it in the corner, and already have two other chairs in the room, and this table came with 2--perfect! It has been wonderful for my two preschoolers to be able to do puzzles or color while I'm making a meal, rather than having to put everything away every mealtime. And they'll hang out there while I'm on the computer or at my desk, just as I'd hoped!

Here's another "before" pic:


I don't have an "after" from the exact spot, but here's our living room now:


We've been a little concerned that this living room isn't big enough, especially for hosting groups (in fact, we almost didn't look at this house, for that reason!). But if we push the couches back so just the front edges are on the rug, and fill in with chairs all around, we think it will work for moderately-sized groups.

And here's a close-up of the rug that Papa Rooster and I spent a long time choosing:


It helped a lot with the noise level in that room...though we hated to cover up our beautiful floors!


We were also worried, initially, about whether our extra-large dining room table would fit comfortably in the eat-in kitchen area:



No problem!

Oh, and though we thought we'd paint everything a unifying neutral color after we moved in, our inherited color scheme has really grown on us. So we'll keep it awhile.

Pink and green kitchen...



...and all!

10 comments:

Linds said...

It looks stunning, Jeanne! I think the living room will grow hugely when the couches are pushed back. Perfect. The floors are really beautiful, and I love the school room!

Linds said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Linds said...

I posted twice. Sorry!

Megan Cobb said...

I LOVE THE NEW SCHOOL ROOM! It's so cozy - you will really enjoy that, I'm sure!

Gabi said...

Everything looks so pretty!

Islandsparrow said...

Your new home is so bright and spacious!

Kathryn Judson said...

I had to laugh at your comment about your inherited color scheme growing on you. I am writing this in a two-tone light purple office cum library that I couldn't wait to paint when we moved in three years ago. I used to apologize for it to everyone who came in. Now I kinda like it. Amazingly enough.

I still wouldn't try for anything like this if I were starting from scratch, but if I get my hands on paint and a paintbrush this is the last room in the house I'd redo. Somehow the funky paint scheme fits it.

stephseef said...

what a pretty, functional house!

Jessica Snell said...

Oh, it's lovely!

And so encouraging. We're in the middle of unpacking and it feels like it won't ever be done. It's nice to look at your pictuers as proof that packing DOES come to an end someday!

Anonymous said...

It's nice to see all the progress! You've really been working hard...& it's great to feel pleased and satisfied. With the work you've done outside, and the bedroom alcove...you really are moving right along--after all, it's really only been a few weeks. Will be glad to see it (you all) again...Love, Pianomum