Sunday, June 01, 2008

Soundtrack for a Funeral

Prelude:

Spiegel Im Spiegel (Arvo Part)

I Shall Be Satisfied (G.C. Wells)

Shall We Gather at the River (Traditional)

Our Blessing Cup (John Michael Talbot)

On Eagle's Wings (Michael Joncas)

Untitled Hymn--Come to Jesus (Chris Rice)

Because He Lives (The Gaithers)

Concerto in B Minor, K540; 2. Adagio (Mozart)


Processional Anthem: Christ is Made the Sure Foundation


Sequence Hymn: Praise to the Lord, the Almighty


Offertory: Ingemisco Tamquem Reus (from Requiem) (Verdi)


Communion Music:

The Salvation of My God (Horn)

Be Not Afraid (Dufford)

Abide with Me

My Shepherd Will Supply My Need

When the Night is Falling (Jernigan)

I Just Want to Thank You (Now, My Lord)

Garments of Praise (Harvill)

Soon and Very Soon (We Are Going to See the King)


Hymn: Lord, Enthroned in Heavenly Splendor


Recessional Anthem: Burst, Ye Emerald Gates


What memories so many of these songs evoke! I remember singing "Praise to the Lord, the Almighty" at John and Margie's wedding, just seven years ago. Margie had a cluster of little girls in white dresses following her down the aisle, and Blondechick was one of them--age 8. John led the worship at his own wedding that day, and I've never seen him so joyful as when he played, "I Just Want to Thank You."

And just like John, even in the final worship lineup he ever planned, he was still introducing us to new pieces! The offertory, sung by his professional baritone of a brother, was completely unknown to me--but so beautiful. Same with "I Shall be Satisfied"--gorgeous close harmonies! I didn't recognize the recessional hymn either. John always was an educator and an introducer.

Tonight we'll be attending a sharing service where we'll hear many stories and testimonies from those whom John ministered to in prayer and in music over the years. It's been such a blessing to see old friends and share many memories together.

No comments: