Friday, December 12, 2008

Lucky Library Finds


Matisse: The King of Color by Laurence Anholt, illustrator (2007)

This was a delightful story based on actual events in the artist's life, from the point of a view of a young nun who waited on him when he was ill. Later, Matisse designed a light-filled chapel for her nunnery.

I see that this author/illustrator has other picture books about famous artists, which I am now eager to look for at my library, where we got this one!



D is for Democracy: A Citizen's Alphabet by Elissa Grodin (2004)


I love picture books that can be used to teach older kids, and this one fit the bill beautifully. It has a simple rhyme that appeals to the younger set, and sidebars with interesting details for the older ones. We read the rhymes through in one sitting, and went back a couple times to read all the sidebars. This one will generate discussion!



Presenting Tanya, the Ugly Duckling by Patricia Lee Gauch (1999)

This was a great introduction to ballet. It cast a spell over us all! The illustrations and the story go beautifully together, as the ugly duckling of a little girl discovers why she was chosen to dance the title role.

3 comments:

MomCO3 said...

I'll look for these! Thanks for the tips.
Annie

Carrie said...

These all look great. Is the Matisse book a Barron's publication by any chance? I think I read some of hte others in the series and they are quite well done.

Mindy said...

Tha ballet one would really appeal to my little one. I am going to look for it at our next library trip!