Friday, November 04, 2011

Hosting the Bishop

We are hosting the Bishop this weekend.  And his wife.

I know, it sounds intimidating...a little overwhelming...and probably pretentious.

All of which is why I get a chuckle out of saying it, because the truth is so underwhelming.  They are the easiest people to be with.

And they have a busy schedule, so they're not even here all the time.  Well, one or the other, and then both for the last day. And we're eating out several times, so it's not like I have to come up with scads of meals to serve.

That is the most overwhelming part to me, with any visitor.  Have I ever mentioned on this blog that I don't particularly enjoy spending time in the kitchen?  It's not that I hate cooking...there are just so many other things I'd usually rather do.

I am giving them brunch today.  Tonight is easy--we have a soup supper at church, and I did make chili and brownies to contribute. Tomorrow Mrs. Bishop and I will go out for breakfast, and tomorrow night there is a group going out for pizza.  I don't know if my digestive system can handle much besides the bread there, but I'm grateful not to have to cook!  On Sunday, we are having a special All Saints' service, the Bishop is confirming a couple parishioners, there is a reception afterward, and then we'l have lunch out with the Bishop, Mrs. Bishop, and Mr. and Mrs. Deacon.  Sunday night I finally get to serve them a meal, and I know they will want something light by that time--and I won't be able to spend that one afternoon in the kitchen--so we are having tacos.  No, that's not a typo.

It's great that their visit falls at the same time as one of our best church events--our semi-annual Talent Show!  After our soup supper, we'll have entertainment that ranges from humorous to serious, from piano solos to a boys' band, from first graders reciting poetry to my70-something in-laws singing "Ah Yes, I Remember It Well" (from Gigi).  Papa Rooster and I are singing a duet from Fiddler on the Roof called "Do You Love Me?" about a couple who've been married for 25 years.  Our 25th is next month, so it was the perfect choice.

And Blondechick is coming home from college for it!

Well, they are here...better put on my hostess cap!

3 comments:

Daniel "Captain" Kirk said...

Had a great time at the Talent Show. Really enjoyed your song, your in-laws' song, and the wide variety of talents.

Anne said...

How did the weekend go?

At A Hen's Pace said...

Papa Bear--

And we really enjoyed YOUR family's offerings! So great to see your son participating that way.

Anne--

It went well! The Talent Show was a huge success, our All Saints' service was lovely, and we received nine new members and two confirmands. We had a great time with Sandy and Gigi Greene (AMIA) too.

~Jeanne