Thursday, April 12, 2007

Worth Reading

I really ought to remember to share the good stuff I find on others' blogs more often! Maybe I should make it a regular feature.

No one should miss this post on beauty (by Ann V. at Holy Experience). Quoting the Washington Post:

"No one knew it, but the fiddler standing against a bare wall outside the Metro in an indoor arcade at the top of the escalators was one of the finest classical musicians in the world, playing some of the most elegant music ever written on one of the most valuable violins ever made. His performance was arranged by The Washington Post as an experiment in context, perception and priorities -- as well as an unblinking assessment of public taste: In a banal setting at an inconvenient time, would beauty transcend?"


In 45 minutes, only seven people stopped to listen, for even a minute.

Ann writes:

Life scenes do not line the walls of hushed galleries with lighting to highlight. Life does not command thousands of dollars for premier seating. Thus, His daily music becomes nothing more than background noise, ears deaf to His breathtaking composition. We are life commuters, oblivious and indifferent to the Master creating beauty only three feet away.

Do go and read the whole post!

And moms--anybody besides me feeling a certain level of burnout? Elizabeth Foss is a new-to-me Catholic author, blogger, homeschooler, and mother of 8, and this post on dealing with burnout was a breath of fresh, spring air that I know some of you all will appreciate too.

Finally, just for fun, take a vicarious European vacation with Donna at Quiet Life--she's posting her extra-large and extra-special vacation photos this week. I don't know why, but they made me happy!

3 comments:

Hen Jen said...

Hen, I'm very slowly working my way through Elizabeth Foss's book- thanks for turning me onto her blog! I just bookmarked it, so cool!

Hen Jen said...

I just read the article about the violinist over at another blog. It was really thought provoking. A must read, I think.

Anonymous said...

this post is wonderful.. loved reading it!!