Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Linkage to Love

Remember the link, a few weeks back, to our friend John Fawcett's Blog? He's a brilliant 45-year-old longtime friend of Papa Rooster's and worship leader at our sending church, who has recently been diagnosed with a recurrence of cancer.

Well, his wife, Margie, has started a lovely blog called The Fruitful Vine. Here's an excerpt:

What is a wife to do when her husband is given a chilling diagnosis?
Freak Out? I've done that.
Weep? I've done that.
Prepare myself for his death? I am sad to admit that I have done that.

I have tossed around this question in its various forms over the last two and a half years. Since August of 2004 I have replayed in my mind over and over again a phrase said to us by our oncologist, "This cancer has 80% recurrence within five years." I confess that I have spent too much time in fear about John's possible death. I have had a tremendous amount of fear that the cancer would recur. I regularly confess these fears and their subsequent sins to my prayer partners.

I am amazed to find that, now that cancer has recurred, my daily life is not as horrible as I had feared it would be. Fear is one way the Enemy robs and steals from me. Fear robs the joy of the present moment. Fear cannot access the presence of God in the future. Each day is full of the presence of God when I am actually living it. I cannot practice the presence of God in a future day, only today. In other words, when I feed a fear, my imagination of the difficult situation is WITHOUT the presence of God. Don't borrow trouble from tomorrow, for each day has enough trouble of its own.
Thank you Lord, that You are in this day with me.


Margie has always had wisdom beyond her years. I'm so glad she's blogging!

Please, if you would, take a moment to pray for her and John, and their two little ones, Charlotte (4) and Josiah (1).

No comments: