Thursday, October 25, 2007

Runts Rule

In our theater organization, the directors are Christians, and they often choose a Scripture verse as a theme for the show. The director of Charlotte's Web told us parents that the Lord had directed her toward the story about David being chosen by Samuel to be the next king of Israel. All the tall, broad-shouldered, handsome older brothers were brought out before Samuel, but it was David--the "runt of the litter"--that God chose. (If you don't know the story of Charlotte's Web, Wilbur the pig was the runt of the litter).

The theme verse for this show has been I Samuel 16:7b: "The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."

I have always loved that story about Samuel choosing David. One year, singing a Christmas carol that mentions "Jesse's seed" or something similar, I was struck by the thought: What if Jesse and Mrs. Jesse had stopped at seven fine sons? We honor him as the father of David and an ancestor of the Messiah because he and his wife were faithful to carry out an important task God had for them to do--having that 8th son! I think I was pregnant at the time, and probably needing a little affirmation from the Father--and He gave it through that carol and that thought. So this story has had a special meaning for me ever since.

And now I will have another special association. I'll think of David as...the runt of the litter!

No comments: