Thursday, June 26, 2008

A Must-Link

My real-life friend at Square Peg in a Round Hole has written an excellent post on what making the sign of the cross means to her:

Of course, many may ask, as I once did, - why is a physical action even necessary? Isn’t reflection upon these realities enough? And for you they may be. But physical action can often serve as a way of re-centering our mind, of speaking to deeper realities, and bringing our physical self in line with our heart and mind. In our culture there are many physical actions we perform as connections to deeper realities: shaking hands in greeting, arms in the air to cheer at sporting events, the peace sign at rallies, folded hands in prayer. For me, the physical act often breaks into my wandering mind. It’s hard to think of something else when you are physically doing something. And so making the sign will bring my mind back into active engagement into the action around me, and cause my heart to refocus on the Cross and the majesty & mystery of a personal triune God. If you’ve never tried it, I’d encourage you to do so. You may be as surprised as I was by how it can touch your life.

I recommend the whole post!

No comments: