Saturday, September 06, 2008

Happy Birthday, Chicklet6!!!


I love this picture of Chicklet, who is 6 today!

It captures so much that I love, including a landscape that I knew from the day I was born (this was taken on the farm in Ohio, in my parents' back yard). We always had a tire swing like this one, and I'd spend hours every summer taking joyous delight in rising above the earth like a bird, watching the ground beneath me retreat and return and retreat again, the breeze against my cheek. It was mesmerizingly carefree.

She's wearing a favorite little dress, and I love her thin 5-year-old arms and legs emerging from it, so delicate yet wiry and strong. And that petite little heart-shaped face, porcelain chin pointed at the clouds...how it will change and grow over the next few years! But this five-year-old china doll face I will always remember.

And I love her happy heart and open attitude, cooperating with Daddy for shot after shot, taking joy and delight in his attention, and the swing, and her own supple strength.

May she always keep her eyes on her Father, delighting in His love and in His creation around her and within her. May she always retain her child-like spirit, so loving and sweet, so full of humor and joy. May she always be to others the blessing that she is to our family.

We love you, Sweetie-Girl...!

2 comments:

Linds said...

Happy birthday Chicklet6!

Gabi said...

What a lovely picture of a lovely girl! Happy Birthday, chicklet6 - this is a great age :)

Now We Are Six
A.A. Milne

When I was one,
I had just begun.
When I was two,
I was nearly new.
When I was three,
I was hardly me.
When I was four,
I was not much more.
When I was five,
I was just alive.
But now I am six,
I'm as clever as clever.
So I think I'll be six
now and forever.