Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Works for Me: Kid-Friendly Baked Potatoes

I wish I had come up with this idea back when we had three under five, six, seven....

Baked potatoes as a side dish are so easy, yummy, good for you--and cheap! But when we had lots of little ones, it took forever to dice up everyone's potato, salt and pepper them, and spread on the sour cream. So we rarely had them.

Until I figured out this neat trick:

Take your baked potatoes and dice them up into largish cubes. (Teach your kids to eat the peel--potatoes are nutritionally complete only if they are eaten, too. Dice finer till they get used to them!) Stir in salt, pepper, sour cream, cheddar cheese, crumbled bacon, green onion, broccoli...or stop at the first three or four ingredients--whatever your family likes.

You don't have to worry about this side dish cooling off, either. Just stick it in the microwave for a minute or two to warm it up and melt the cheese a little before serving. And if you like more of a mashed potato consistency--add a little milk and stir in.

Yum! Not as dry as regular baked potatoes either. Easier to serve...just as yummy--or more so--nutritional...cheap...

What are you waiting for!?

For more tips, visit Works for Me Wednesday, hosted--for the final time!--by Rocks in My Dryer.

6 comments:

Jane Anne said...

Great idea! We had baked potato night tonight. 2 of my 4 kids don't like baked potatoes. (We had chicken nuggets as a side -LOL.) Anyway, this idea might help out. Thanks!

My latest post: WFMW: Free Magazines

Kim @ Forever Wherever said...

I like a potato no matter how you cut it! ;-)
Thanks for the idea!
-Kim

Islandsparrow said...

Chili on top with a little grated cheese is also very good! And a complete meal with a salad.

Heather said...

Sounds yummy and easy!

Anonymous said...

My kids love baked stuffed potatos, I might do this as a main meal with a nice salad or as a lunch option for the girls. Like you said, cheap, substantial and yummy! Especially with a variety of toppings. Shirley

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

I love baked potatoes. One of our favorite meals is stuffed potatoes. When we go out I like mine with barbecued pork, but my husband prefers chicken, so when I make them at home, I always make the chicken stuffed potatoes.