Thursday, February 18, 2010

Lent Begins

Though I had no time yesterday to post anything about it, yesterday was Ash Wednesday and the beginning of Lent!

We had a beautifully solemn service which was well-attended. We had visitors, which was always exciting--Abbi's parents and eight brothers and sisters all came, and brought two other families from their church. One family knows Amy and her family, and has been reading Amy's blog--which is the most fabulous place to go if you are looking for ways to integrate the church calendar and its symbols in a family setting--and they seemed to have really enjoyed the service.

For Lent, we always give up dessert as a family, and I'm not sure what else, if anything, I'm going to do. I always try to give up yelling at my kids (--grin--but I am also serious), and I try to read the Scriptures and pray more faithfully during Lent.

I would love to also blog about some of the Scriptures I read, but I don't know if I have the time or the space this year to do Lent any differently than the preceding weeks and months have been. The only thing I can see to change is to turn my circumstances--which seem so out of my control--into part of my Lent. Instead of being frustrated that I don't have time for things I want to do, I will try to embrace the limitations as a Lenten abstinence. Instead of complaining about the things I can't do, or the things I have to do (driving kids, email, helping with homework) that take time away from what I want to do (read, blog, Facebook), I will try to offer them up, in prayer, as a sacrifice.

I think the aroma will be more pleasing!

2 comments:

Daniel "Captain" Kirk said...

I like to think of Lent and Advent as times to "clear the decks" of the urgent, and focus on the important. When I stop doing something I had chosen, I am reminded how often my little miseries are the result of my choices.

The Hagedorn Family said...

We very much enjoyed the service and thank you for talking with us after. Blessings to you during this season.