Friday, June 22, 2012

Kisses from Katie


As soon as I heard about it, I knew I had to read this book. When I went to order it from Amazon, I noticed that 123 out of 125 reviewers had given it 5 stars! That clinched it. Worth buying.

Katie Davis walked away from a privileged life as a high school homecoming queen and senior class president to work at an orphanage in Uganda. She had a convertible, a boyfriend, and a blank check from her parents for college, and she traded it all for a 16-passenger van, 14 adopted children and a life of caring for the uneducated, the malnourished, alcoholics, AIDS victims and the abused.

It is a remarkable story, and if you want a taste, check out her blog, Kisses from Katie. Every post is so moving! I love the way her writing inspires not guilt, not the sense that everyone should move to Africa and do what she does, but encouragement to see God at work around us, to look for opportunities to serve those we live among, to trust God in the midst of suffering and pain, and to draw in deep breaths of His word, His love, and His promises.

Can't wait for my teens to read this one!

No comments: