Saturday, June 30, 2007

Forty-Five Years


Forty-five years ago today, my parents were married in the Baptist church my mother was raised in. It was unseasonably hot for June, in the days before air-conditioning was ubiquitous. She and her sister-bridesmaids wore dresses made by my grandmother. Twenty-five years later, I wore the same bridal gown at my wedding--altered and updated a bit, and yellowed just slightly to what they called "candlelight white." I loved it.

For forty-five years--forty-two of them in front of me--they've lived out their marriage vows with faithfulness, constancy and love. They've had richer and poorer, sickness and health, good times and bad. They've both followed the Lord since childhood, and raised three children to do the same. Their eleven grandchildren are all being raised to love and serve God as well. They are pillars of service in their church, and solid rocks in our family foundations.

They've been a shining example of commitment, no matter what, and I love, respect and honor them for that today....

And always.


Love you so much, Mom and Dad.

Congratulations!!!!

3 comments:

Linds said...

What a lovely tribute to your parents. I know how special it is to learn from our parents' examples of a happy marriage. Congratulations to them too! My parents celebrated their golden wedding just before my Dad died.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, honey, for the sweet words and thoughts.....We are loving the flowers, too. Love, Mom & Dad

Anonymous said...

Such a nice tribute to your mom and dad! I was one of the sister bridesmaids in that wedding! Love, Aunt E.