Thursday, January 07, 2010

Snow Day!

I found this actually educational, and thought my readers who don't have the privilege of living near one of the Great Lakes might be interested:

From WeatherChannel.com
LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING
A LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF LAKE- EFFECT SNOW ARE FORECAST THAT WILL MAKE TRAVEL VERY HAZARDOUS OR IMPOSSIBLE. LAKE-EFFECT SNOW SHOWERS TYPICALLY ALIGN THEMSELVES IN BANDS AND WILL LIKELY BE INTENSE ENOUGH TO DROP SEVERAL INCHES OF SNOW PER HOUR FOR SEVERAL HOURS. VISIBILITIES VARY GREATLY AND CAN DROP TO ZERO WITHIN MINUTES. TRAVEL IS STRONGLY DISCOURAGED.
... LAKE EFFECT SNOW BAND SET UP OVER FAR SOUTHEAST WISCONSIN TODAY... ... DANGEROUSLY COLD CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED TONIGHT THROUGH FRIDAY MORNING...


So those are our weather conditions here this morning, and all my kids are home from school. Papa Rooster, who works nearly an hour away in northeast Illinois, had to head out on the road, though, and it makes me think how grateful I am for him, his job, and his faithful efforts there that provide so well for our family. Thank you, PR!

I don't know if we'll do much homeschooling today, with all the big kids home, but I will take advantage of our unplowed street and take my two oldest--who both have their learner's permits--out to slip-slide around on it and get a feel for driving in snow. I'm sure this will do great things for my blood pressure!

No comments: